His Excellency Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan has held many public positions
- Minister of the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research since 2013 until the present.
- Chancellor of United Arab Emirates University since 2013 until the present.
- Minister of Public Works (February 2004-March 2013).
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of Sheikh Zayed Housing Program.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of the National Transport Authority.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of the National Media Council.
- Chairman of the Higher Committee for UAE Civil Seaports and Airports Security.
- Chairman of the Executive Committee of Development of Remote Areas.
These authorities have seen great development in their services and performance, and got the first ranks, and other advanced positions in the various development initiatives launched by the Federal Government.
Sheikh Zayed Housing Program
His Excellency Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan was appointed Chairman of Sheikh Zayed Housing Program from 2004 until March 2013.
- Sheikh Zayed Housing Program was awarded many awards including the Five Star Service Excellence Award.
- Sheikh Zayed Housing Program won the “Distinguished federal entity in Strategic Planning” and “Distinguished federal entity in Knowledge Management” awards at the first session of the Sheikh Khalifa government excellence program in 2009.
- The Ministry of Public Works was chosen in 2010 as best authority in achieving highest levels of performance at the level of ministries, and the Sheikh Zayed Housing Program as best authority in achieving the desired level at the institutions level.
- In addition, the program in his era achieved the following accomplishments:
2005 Issuing the housing assistance decisions with a total of 1154 loan and grant requests.
2006 Issuing the housing assistance decisions with a total of 1148 loan and grant requests.
2007 Approving the on line (electronic) request process
2007 Issuing the housing assistance decisions with a total of 1340 loan and grant requests.
2008 SZHP was classified & obtained the first rank among the Federal authorities.
2008 Establishing and providing approval for residential omplexes qith a total of 60 governmental houses in the emirates of Ras Al Khaimah and Um Al Quain.
2008 Issuing the initials approvals of a total of 18200 housing assistance requests.
2008 Finalized the analyzing and studying phase of all the requests submitted by (Divorcees, Widows, Special needs ) categories.
2008 Finalized the analyzing and studying phase of all the requests submitted by the Teachers and The juristic body.
2008 Finalized the analyzing and studying phase of all the requests submitted before the year 2000
2008 Adjusting Financial and Human Resource regulations.
2008 Establishing a total of 200 houses in the Emirates of Abu Dhabi.
2008 Initiating the houses building project or system for the special cases and the incomplete in the building categories.
2008 Issuing the housing assistance decisions on a total of 4408 loans, grants & house building requests.
2009 SZHP was classified & obtained the first rank among the Federal authorities.
2009 Adjusting SZHP laws and regulations.
2009 Approving the explanatory notes of the new law project.
2009 Establishing new branches in the emirates of Ras Al Khaimah & Fujairah.
2009 Launching the electronic website of SZHP.
2009 Launching the unified housing Gate.
2009 Adjusting the range of the salaries and granting help building approvals for those whom their monthly salary exceeded 35,000 Dirhams.
2009 Confirming and approving the rules and controls of the SZHP financial investment and management.
2009 Confirming SZHP organizational chart.
2009 Approving 8 patterns of residential complexes for the beneficiaries of the help building program.
2009 Approving the internal distinguished employee rewarding scheme project.
2009 Issuing the housing assistance decisions on a total of 2927loans, grants & house building requests.
2010 Approving SZHP Strategic plan for 2011-2013.
2010 Approving 8 patterns of residential complexes for the beneficiaries of the help building program.
2010 Singing a cooperation memorandum with the Ministry of Social Affairs.
2010 Approving the employees reward scheme.
2010 Approving the government awareness policy.
2010 Approving the building help appealing process.
2010 Initiating the building help projects/ residential complex.
2010 Preparing for establishing residential complexes in the emirates of Sharjah and Fujairah.
2010 Issuing the housing assistance decisions on a total of 2652 loans, grants & house building requests.
2010 Providing and granting a total of 5212 houses for the beneficiaries during the period of (2005- 2010).
2011 Approving the developed scheme of the residential buildings in the emirate of Fujairah.
Ministry of public works
Achievements of his Excellency Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, during his tenure at the Ministry of Public Works from 2004 until March 2013
- Initiatives related to Excellence:
His highness initiated the culture of excellence through implementing the concepts and standards of excellence from the first day he was appointed as Minister, where the International Excellence program EFQM was implemented that helped the Ministry in applying the standards of excellence for Sheikh Khalifa Excellence Program for Government Performance, where the Ministry won first place as the best Federal Ministry, and first place in the field of excellence at the federal level, his Excellency was keen to issue mandates and follow-up on implementation and project completion rates and other important matters by using electronic systems such as EPM, E-project, and Enjaz.
- Developing of Remote areas in the North Emirates:
Strategically the initiative aimed to improve the infrastructure and services in the remote areas through a comprehensive program to construct 2 billion Dirham projects (e.g. houses, roads etc..) in the various north emirates.
- Improving the Infrastructure in the North Emirates:
A long term program to upgrade and improve the infrastructure in the North Emirates at a cost of more than 15 billion Dirhams, allocated to highways, drainage systems, dams, harbors and houses.
- Federal Projects:
Some of the most Important Buildings Projects:
- Ras Al-Khaima Specialist Hospital (800 million Dirhams.)
- Um-Alquwain General Hospital (450 million Dirhams.)
- Sheikh Khalifa Hospital in Ajman (200 million Dirhams.)
- Al Fujira Hospital (about 80 million Dirhams.)
- 30 Schools and Kindergarten.
- Administrate buildings (Courts, Police stations, cultural centers)
Some of the most important Roads Projects:
- Dubai-Al Fujirah highway (about 1.2 Billion Dirhams.)
- Adhan-Al Tawaeen Road (235 Million Dirhams.)
- Al Madam- Al Showaib Road (130 Million Dirhams.)
- At Operation Levels:
- Restructuring the organizing of the Ministry to suit the UAE’s Government strategic goals
- Reengineering the whole Minister’s procedures and process, to enhance the performance and efficiency of the Ministry
- Issuing a Federal Law, to organize the ownership of federal houses in UAE
- Issuing a Cabinet Order, to manage and operate the Federal Roads.
- First position among all the UAE Ministries, in achieving the strategic performance indicators in 2008 & 2009
- The Excellence award in Sheikh Khalifa Excellence Program for Ministry with less than 900 employees, in 2010.
- His Excellency also launched in 2011, several online services, including:
- “Geographic Information System”: an online portal that displays detailed map listing the federal projects implemented by the Ministry of Public Works like federal service buildings for a number of ministries, in addition to the federal highway and public housing projects.
- “Electronic Project”: it consists of a set of integrated central electronics services aimed at achieving effective management of construction projects in the Ministry, to achieve excellence and efficiency in the various areas of work.
- His Excellency developed a policy and mechanisms to implement the sustainability criteria in the Ministry, and his Excellency Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan adopted the “Green Lab” project, a new initiative to supply the entire lab with solar and wind power, and provide some scientific instruments for sustainability to students, work on preparing a curriculum to raise awareness of the importance of sustainability, the Ministry sought through this project to confirm its role in achieving the vision of the UAE Government in operationalizing sustainability projects and reduce energy consumption.
National Transport Authority
His Excellency Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan chaired the Board of the Authority from 2008 to March 2013, which was founded in 2006 to succeed the Ministry of Communications in the UAE, with the aim to regulate, supervise and develop plans and programs necessary for promoting the land and marine transport sector in the country. In addition, NTA participate in enhancing the quality and standards of roads at the national level as well as developing master plans to ensure the provision of sustainable multimode of transportation for the continuous growth in the UAE.
The most prominent achievements of his Excellency Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan during his tenure of the chairmanship of the Board of Directors of the NTA are as follows:
- Events and local, regional and international agreements:
- Signing a Memorandum of Understanding with the German Ministry of Transport.
- Signing a Memorandum of Understanding with the China Republic.
- Signing a Memorandum of Understanding with the RAK Customs and Ports Department.
- Signing agreements with the Roads & Transportation Authority in Dubai.
- Signing agreements with the Union of Arab Ports.
- Signing agreements with Al Hosn University.
- Organized the largest international conference in the field of road safety in March of 2010, where it hosted; under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai, the “15th cycle of the (Road Safety on Four Continents Conference).
- Land and Marine Transport Operations And Projects:
- The NTA has prepared a Land & Maritime unified system for issuing and renewing marine and land transport licenses. The NTA has completed this system in the year 2010.
- The NTA has completed the most important studies, such as:
- The Standards and specifications of transport and traffic safety study.
- The Land Transport Master Plan study to develop the federal strategy for transportation.
- The annual study of accident rates in UAE, and how to avoid those accidents
- A study dealing with the obstacles facing companies working in the land transport field
- The “Draft of Transport Master Plan”:
One of the most important projects aiming at developing strategies for land and marine transport. The NTA was entrusted with this project by the Presidency of the Prime Ministers in 2008 and was completed in the first quarter of the 2010 where the white paper of the transport master plan has been completed after more than a year and a half of hard work by the Authority and its strategic partners.
- Establishing the Union Railway Company and the Neutral Auditing System:
The NTA has prepared in advanced the draft law of the railway company in the cooperation and coordination with all the concerned authorities. In addition to many feasibility studies for the trains’ projects, including a study on the importance of linking the seven emirates by railway, and another study on linking the UAE with the GCC countries by railway.
Accordingly, His Highness the UAE President has issued a decree in 2009 to establish a federal draft law for establishing the railway company as an independent legal entity that specialized in transferring passengers and goods through railway named “Union Railway Company” with a total capital of one billion Dirhams owned wholly by the Federal Government of the United Arab Emirates.
- The NTA’s Continuous development in the legislative and administrative affairs and customer service:
This has contributed to achieving a tonnage total registered under the UAE flag and this is equivalent to 1.6 million in year 2010. The NTA has also achieved high inspection rates, where it achieved a 93.54% rate of inspection on trading ships compared with 69.6% in 2009 and this is a result of the wise leadership of His Excellency the Chairman of the Board of Directors, Sheikh Hamdan bin Mubarak Al Nahyan.
- Achievements in terms of Transport Laws:
- The NTA with its competent employees and under the guidance of His Excellency Sheikh Hamdan bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, has started standard comparisons and studies with the best regional and international experiences in this field of transport. The result of these efforts is the completion of the federal draft law for land transport and roads, which was passed to all the technical and legislative concerned committees in the UAE and approved by the Council of Ministers in preparation for its formal issuing. In parallel the technical and legal specialized employees of NTA have completed developing the executive regulations of the land transport’s law that will organize the land transport operations in the UAE.
- Considering the NTA’s strategic goals in upgrading the marine transport in the UAE as well as increasing revenues, and under the guidance of the senior leadership represented by His Excellency Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, the NTA technical and legal specialized employees updated and developed the current law in order to increase the tonnage of ships registered under the flag of the UAE and opening investments in the Maritime Transport Sector in UAE as well as increasing the competitiveness of the UAE in this field worldwide. The guidance and efforts exerted has resulted in establishing an updated maritime transport draft law, which passed all technical and legislative committees in the UAE and issuance of approval decision of the Council of Ministers and simultaneously the executive regulations of the law were completed.
- The National Transport Authority has achieved increased and very good trending results in the level of strategic performance indicators of the strategic plan compared with other Federal Government Authorities. In terms of the Strategic Plan of the Federal Government in its first cycle 2008 – 2010 the NTA has achieved a performance result of 88% in year 2008 compared with the average overall performance of the Federal Government Authorities at that time was 75.8%. Moreover, the NTA has achieved a performance result of 90.78% in year 2009 compared with the average overall performance of the Federal Government Authorities at that time was 67.07%.Thus the NTA has ranked the third in terms of performance at the level of Federal Government Authorities for the year 2009 and the NTA performance rate is expected to increase in the years 2010 and 2011.
- Under the wise leadership of His Excellency the Chairman of the Board of Directors, Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, the Quality Management System was launched, where the policies, and operational processes and procedures were developed according to the highest specifications and standards. As a result, a number of methodologies regarding the Human Resource Performance Assessment & Motivation, Procurement & Storage Maintenance, Strategic Planning & Performance and Risk Management were developed in addition to enhancing the change and legal processes, as well as inspection, licensing, and registration procedures. In coronation to these efforts the NTA got the International Specification Standard ISO 9001:2000.
- The National Transport Authority is among the first Federal Government Authorities, which had the initiative to hold brainstorming workshops and meetings with all the employees since the first day of launching Emirates’ Vision 2021 “We strive to be one of the best countries in the world by the year 2021″, which was heard from the media. Therefore, the NTA under the guidance of His Excellency Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, the NTA launched the strategic plan of 2011-2013, to ensure achieving the UAE Vision 2021; the NTA did international benchmark studies with 4 countries, which are the United States of America, Sweden, Canada and Singapore.
- The NTA has initiated in implementing the directives of His Excellency Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan regarding involving all NTA employees in analyzing the internal environment, and that was done based on the best practices. Accordingly, the NTA has circulated a draft of the Strategic Plan to its Strategic Partners to find out their views and amends accordingly. The NTA’s Strategic Plan draft was; in the testimony of the Prime Minister’s Office; is the most plans developed in close link to principals and directions of the Federal Government of UAE and the UAE vision.
- Initiatives towards excellence
His Excellency has adopted a culture of excellence, where he founded the application of concepts and standards of excellence since the first day, as the development and application of a plan to raise the level of conformity with standards of excellence for the Sheikh Khalifa Program for Excellence in Government Performance, where the processing and development of methodologies for organizational excellence was done and participation in all the award categories during all cycles of the Sheikh Khalifa Awards starting in 2009.
National Media Council
Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, was appointed Chairman of National Media Council in October 2010.
His Excellency reaffirmed the formation of a follow-up Committee on the Council initiatives regarding Emiratization, with the aim of involving and relevant authorities in the Emiratization process.
His Excellency Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan was keen to form a Coordinating Council for the National Media Council comprising the heads and directors of media outlets in the UAE, to brief them regularly on the trends, priorities and positions of the State on various issues in order to enhance the transparency in the UAE.
In response to the directives of his Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai, his Excellency Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, Minister of Public Works, Chairman of National Media Council, inaugurated the Unified Customer Service Charter of the Council, within the UAE Excellence Program within the framework of directions aimed at raising standards of competition and excellence in government to levels that keep pace with world standards of service excellence in the public sector and the private sector.
Emirates News Agency, WAM
Upon the assumption of his Excellency Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak his position as chair of the National Media Council, his interests lay in developing the work of the Emirates News Agency, WAM which follows organizationally and administratively the Union, focusing initially on assessing capabilities of the Agency’s workers in preparation for a program aimed at developing the abilities and skills that keep pace with advances in news work, through a series of specialized training courses, and increasing the number of services provided by the Agency and the raising its status, simultaneously seeking to build a new organizational structure of the Agency that enables it to perform its functions at the local, Arab and international levels.
Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research
His Excellency Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, was appointed Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research in March 2013, his Excellency proceed upon his appointment to draw and identify strategic plan that aims to develop higher education and scientific research in the State, and in accordance with UAE Vision 2021.
The Ministry has achieved during the reign of his Highness Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan a set of achievements:
- His Excellency established a Coordinating Council for Higher Education, which includes the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research and University Presidents, to oversee implementation of the plan of development of the higher education sector, and to coordinate decisions, efforts and work in a participatory manner.
- Conducting studies on identification of the needed specialties in the labor market in the State, and in accordance with the UAE Vision 2021, and the accreditation of the programs offered by educational institutions in the State, which meet those needs in accordance with the best international standards.
- Launching the Innovation Pioneers Award for undergraduate and graduate students within and outside the country to support creativity and innovation, encourage students to contribute to sustainable development and the knowledge-based economy.
- Scholarships were a priority for his Excellency; criteria for scholarships abroad have been developed, and evaluating and improving the level of services provided for scholarship students, and restructuring the Cultural Attachés abroad.
- His Excellency founded the “National Committee for Scholarships and Grants Coordination”, to guide the system of scholarships and grants, and ensure complementarity and coordination between the scholarship authorities in the State.
- His Excellency started the implementation of the comprehensive Emiratization plan of the Ministry.
- Launch of the Higher Education and Scientific Research Smart Applications Award, in line with the directives of his Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid, and in line with the Government’s vision.
- Launch of the first phase of the Electronic Portal, which includes an integrated system of electronic services to achieve the best desired results according to the federal and international standards alike, it includes the National Portal for Scholars with over 40 major service available for use by students applying for scholarships, scholars, Cultural Attachés, academic counselors, parents and scholarship authorities, the National Scholarship Database, which is an umbrella that provides information about scholarships to Emirati students with the aim of feeding policies and scholarship programs for the State.
- The Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research has put standards and rules for the equivalency of electronic learning (e-learning) certificates.
- The Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research launched distinguished technical projects, including the smart chip (third generation), and the integration project to link the Ministry electronically with the Emirates Identity Authority, and the Ministry’s project of linking its electronic network with the security agencies systems.
United Arab Emirates University
His Excellency Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, was appointed Chancellor of the UAE University on the 15th of April 2013, it is the University that his Excellency graduated from and received a Bachelor’s degree in Business and Management in 1982.
The University has in the reign of his Highness Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan achieved a set of achievements:
- A strategic plan was prepared that aims to maintain the advanced status of the University locally, as the first National University, and the advanced Arab, regional and Asian ranking.
- His Excellency focused on the implementation of international accreditation programs of the University to achieve a sophisticated global rank, and a comprehensive institutional development plan of the University is currently being implemented, which aims to develop it from the various academic, administrative, financial and services aspects.
- UAE University got the first position at the Arab University level, and the76th rank globally at the University level, according to the international university ranking by Times Higher Education Institution within the (BRICS) group for the year 2013-2014, on top of many international universities.